I am a bit fickle with my smartphones and tend to switch between phones and carriers quite a bit. I wrote that I picked up my own white Nokia Lumia 900 a couple weeks ago and then last Friday I returned it because I already had Verizon and T-Mobile and just ordered the Sprint HTC EVO 4G LTE. I missed the Lumia 900 after a couple of days and went back and bought another while deciding to cancel the Sprint account and suspend my Verizon one until new devices come out in a few months. I thought it was timely that Consumer Reports just posted their Top 7 electronics gifts for dads and grads that include the Nokia Lumia 900 as the smartphone of choice.
Earlier today, Mary Jo's guest author, Makram Daou, asked Will Windows Phone's bumpy start eventually lead to success?. Readers here know my answer to that question and I honestly believe they will be successful in the smartphone space with their newer Windows Phone OS. We saw last week that Windows Phone is outselling the Apple iPhone in China, but much of that is due to a specific wireless system used by China Mobile (largest mobile phone company in the world by customer base) that Apple doesn't support. However, Apple has not stated any plans to change so Windows Phone has the potential to take off in China, one of the world's largest mobile phone markets.
As I wrote a couple of weeks ago, Windows Phone has shown slow, but steady growth since it launched in 2010 and is doing quite well in countries such as Germany and Norway.
As I am back to using the Nokia Lumia 900 as my primary Windows Phone device, I wanted to make sure you knew about an excellent resource for Nokia Lumia owners in the U.S. The Conversations by Nokia site has some excellent articles that help you optimize the use of your device, including the following:
- 10 photography tips for the Nokia Lumia 900
- Video proof: Nokia Lumia 900 can take a beating
- Amazon.com buyers love the Nokia Lumia 710
- Nokia Lumia: Your new personal trainer
- How Nokia Lumia cures your smartphone OCD
There are a ton of great articles, tips, and tricks on the Conversations by Nokia site and I highly recommend you check it out. I submitted a guest post detailing how I have my Nokia Lumia 900 Start screen setup so keep an eye out for that soon too.
Related ZDNet content
- RIM and Microsoft in 2012: Obvious advantage goes to Microsoft
- Another ZDNet Great Debate lost, still not giving up on Windows Phone
- White Nokia Lumia 900 Stormtrooper phone is set for stun
- The Nokia Lumia 900 will be a hot seller on AT&T (review and gallery)
- Reviewers overwhelmingly like the Nokia Lumia 900, consumers will too
- Windows Phone is great, so why aren't more people buying them?
- CTIA 2012: Nokia announces new exclusive Lumia Windows Phone apps
- ZDNet Great Debate: RIM or Nokia: Which has the better turnaround prospects?
- Will Windows Phone's bumpy start eventually lead to success?