As I was catching up on the news in my hotel room I read over on Boy Genius Report that a software update for the HTC ThunderBolt was rolling out so I quickly went to settings and check for new software to see that an update was indeed available for my HTC ThunderBolt.
I love my ThunderBolt, but hate that it can't maintain a consistent WiFi hotspot session. I am hopeful that this update fixes this issue, but won't be able to test it until later this evening when I return to the Seattle area with 4G coverage. According to Verizon's official ThunderBolt update page (PDF file) there is no specific mention of an improvement in the WiFi hotspot feature, but they do list enhanced data connectivity so maybe that covers it. Here is the list of affected areas in the update:
- Enhanced data connectivity when accessing Verizon 3G network.
- SMS and MMS messages are stored properly in the Messaging application.
- Time for device activation is improved.
- Backup Assistant is correctly displayed in Applications menu.
- Stability improvements for data centric apps like Facebook, Kayak, Yahoo! Mail, and more.
- Accurate location is displayed when accessing the weather widget.
- Quickly load GPS updates for Google maps and VZ Navigator.
As you know, the ThunderBolt had issues switching back to 3G with the recent LTE outage so maybe this will be fixed. I have often been placed half way around the world when viewing the weather widget so this will be a convenient improvement to see. I never use text messaging on my ThunderBolt, I didn't buy any message service, so never noticed that issue.
The update is 35.649 MB and takes the ThunderBolt from software build number 1.12.605.6 to 1.13.605.7 and the baseband from 1.16.00.0223r to 1.16.00.0402w_1. I am hopeful that this update fixes my WiFi hotspot issues and if it does the ThunderBolt will stay in my collection and if not, I may consider switching to the Droid Charge that reportedly works better with the WiFi hotspot feature.
Anyone notice improved features on their ThunderBolt?