Facebook this week filed a Uniform Domain-Name Dispute (UDRP) with the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) to gain control of facebook.info. The domain name was first registered in September 2004.
Here is the first part of the Whois Record for facebook.info:
Domain ID:D6499683-LRMS Domain Name:FACEBOOK.INFO Created On:25-Sep-2004 05:31:56 UTC Last Updated On:10-May-2012 19:00:05 UTC Expiration Date:25-Sep-2012 05:31:56 UTC Sponsoring Registrar:1&1 Internet AG (R113-LRMS) Status:OK Registrant ID:C6100501-LRMS Registrant Name:Igor Dolgalev
The former seems to be an odd log of tweets while the latter is a forum where controversial classifieds are being posted. I would wager that Facebook doesn't want its brand to be involved in either of these.
Given that Facebook launched in February 2004, the company will likely have a valid argument that it should own the domain. It's curious, however, that the social networking giant is choosing to file almost eight years after the domain name was purchased, not to mention that it's during IPO week.
Facebook is widely expected to start trading on the Nasdaq this week under the "FB" ticker. Many believe this Friday is the big day; shares will be priced on May 17, with trading beginning on May 18. Another rumor says there could be a delay, but as every day passes, that seems less and less likely.
I have contacted Facebook about the facebook.info domain name and will update you if I hear back.
- How much is Facebook worth?
- Facebook files for $5 billion IPO
- Facebook's IPO in pictures and Facebook's IPO by the numbers
- Facebook updates IPO filing to underline Zynga deal
- Facebook details Zuckerberg's $500,000 salary, 45% bonus
- Facebook amends IPO a fourth time, includes Q1 2012 financials
- Facebook sets $28 to $35 IPO price range
- Facebook roadshow kicks off with a video, IPO prospectus released