PayPal has added Donations functionality to its Send Money Facebook app. Not only can you use PayPal to send money directly to other Facebook users, but you can now also make donations in each-other's name. As before, there's also the option to post a card to the recipient's Wall announcing the gift.
Since we're in February now, PayPal is trying to use Valentine's Day to market the new feature: "send someone you love a special card that will warm their heart and help others in need too." It is also being promoted this month through the eBay Giving Works Facebook Page, allowing you to send a card to someone special on Facebook, and spread even more love by donating to a favorite nonprofit in their honor.
Here's how it works:
- Go to the Send Money app donate feature on Facebook.
- Pick your loved one's favorite charity from nearly 20,000 U.S. organizations.
- Choose the card that's just right, and sign in to Facebook.
- Find your special someone, add a personal message (even a photo or a video), and the amount you'd like to give through PayPal.
Your friend receives a Valentine's Day card immediately, including the donation you made in their name, and the nonprofit receives your gift from MissionFish. Until February 14, 100 percent of every donation will reach the nonprofit. In other words, if you're going to use it, do so in the next two weeks, not later.
"Enabling people to send money anytime, anywhere is the heart of what PayPal does best," a PayPal spokesperson said in a statement. "We're proud to bring extra meaning to the day of love. So this Valentine's Day go ahead and spread even more love!"
- Facebook gives security researchers Visa debit cards
- 70% of Facebook users are comfortable with what they share
- Facebook launches in-app currency offers
- eBay partners with Facebook on social commerce: Want, Own buttons
- Facebook Credits updated, new payment methods added
- Facebook begins testing Facebook Credits for websites