Earlier this week, Facebook updated its iOS app to version 3.5. Twitter mobile designer Bryan Haggerty took a look at Facebook's new app and immediately voiced his displeasure.
Seriously Facebook? http://pic.twitter.com/0ifNsdY Ok Facebook, enough with the flattery. http://pic.twitter.com/vSyHdpH
You can see the first comparison screenshot at the top of this article and the second one below (in both cases, Twitter is on the left and Facebook is on the right):
Haggerty is implying that Facebook has copied Twitter's iOS app user interface. The saying goes "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" but clearly Haggerty is not flattered.
In Facebook's defense, both designs reflect a respect for the iOS standard constructs, including placement, sizing, and coloring of the icons. Nevertheless, the screenshots do show a remarkable similarity. What do you think?
- Pink claims her Facebook account was hacked, on Twitter
- The rich flock to Facebook, don’t bother with Twitter
- Chrome extension adds your Facebook, Twitter streams into Google+
- Facebook plugins most used, Google +1 button passes Twitter buttons
- US Supreme Court: we’re not on Facebook, what's Twitter?
- France bans Facebook and Twitter from radio and TV