- Download the latest version of the free app from the Amazon Appstore, Android Market or App Store for iPhone to your mobile device.
- Enable the geo-location feature on Price Check app during installation if you wish to make the app smarter for all users. (Read Amazon's fine print here.)
- Open the app to either: Take a picture of an item (book, CD, DVD, game etc.) in-store with your device's camera; scan the item's barcode with your device; say the name of the product to your device; or type the item into the app.
- The app will match your item with existing prices to give you a better idea of the best deal available: online or in-store.
- If Amazon is offering the best price for a product and you wish to purchase it with the 5-percent discount, simply place it in the in-app shopping cart to qualify. The discount will be taken off at checkout, which must be completed within 24 hours.
The catch is you may only purchase a maximum of three discounted items from Amazon on the 10th (could be anything from electronics, toys, music, sporting goods to DVDs). Without a doubt, this is a blatant way for Amazon to promote its app and compete for customers in the middle of the shopping season. But if you plan on shopping anyway, you might as well save some money for your efforts. Just make sure to get a full charge on your mobile device because all the photo snapping and geo-tagging may drain your battery fast!