So, you just downloaded nearly 4GB of Mac OS X 10.7 'Lion' install files from the Mac App store and are wondering if you can get this onto a DVD?
You can - and it's qute easy!
NOTE: Do this AFTER downloading Lion and BEFORE installation as the download may be deleted following install!
- Open Finder and navigate to /Applications/Install Mac OS X Lion
- Right-click on the package and choose Show Package Contents
- Open the Contents folder
- Open SharedSupport and find InstallESD.dmg
- Right-click on InstallESD.dmg and paste (right-click and choose Paste Item) it to a convenient location (such as the Desktop)
- Fire up Disk Utility (/Applications/Utilities)
- Click Burn, select InstallESD.dmg from your convenient location and click Burn
- Find a recordable DVD disc and pop it in the optical drive (yes, you need an optical drive to do this) and click Burn
- Wait ... wait ... wait ...
- Job done!
Not only does this give you a backup of the download (so you won't have to download it again), but it also gives you a handy way to install Lion onto another Mac you own. (Legally Apple allows you five installs to machines with the same Apple ID.)