Though many will be disappointed by the lack of iPhone 5 news, a new and souped-up iPhone 4S was announced yesterday -- if you hadn't noticed.
There were three things on the cards at yesterday's launch: iOS 5, the next-generation operating system, iCloud, Apple's answer to cloud computing and device synchronisation, and of course the iPhone 4S, which updates hardware ready for the software and services mix.
But many will have to wait a few more days, if not weeks for the latest goods to be delivered to them.
iOS 5 will be out next week for iPhone and iPod touch devices. While iCloud is already available, it will take until the wider release of iOS 5 to become useful, as many of the features are integrated into the new mobile operating system.
If you cannot wait until then to see what is on offer, find here two handy gallery guides -- one which runs through the iOS 5 features and the 'out of the box' experience -- and the other looking at iCloud for the web.
iOS is the most powerful Apple mobile operating system to date, with over 200 features and improvements. It also boasts native iCloud integration, offering synchronisation between devices, including Macs and PCs with iTunes. View this gallery. iCloud is not just a feature of iOS 5, however. It also includes a web-based version of its synchronised applications, from Mail to Calendar, as well as iWork -- letting you create documents on your iPhone, and seamlessly edit from your browser. View this gallery.
While developers will already have access to the final "gold" version of Apple's iOS 5, end users and consumers will be able to download it on October 12th. The next-generation iPhone 4S is available for pre-order October 7th, and will be shipped later on this month.
- ZDNet's full coverage of the iPhone 4S launch
- iPhone 4S: Five killer features
- iPhone 4S: Five missing features
- Next-gen iPhone: It's nothing without iOS, iCloud
Around the network:
- Between the Lines: iOS 5 will officially land on October 12; more details revealed
- iPhone 4S is same on the outside, 'all new' on the inside
- Apple CEO Cook lets team, iPhone 4S do the talking
- ZDNet Video: Apple unveils the iPhone 4S 'world' phone
- CBS News: New iPhone 4S disappoints, but maybe it's not so bad?
- CBS News: Apple's new iPod Touch is updated, sort of