If you are still running Microsoft Windows XP SP2, you have less than a month to upgrade. The venerable SP2 (Service Pack 2) version reaches the end of its life on July 13, after which there will be no more updates.
News and comment on what's happening in the technology industry, and the direction it's heading.
Jack Schofield spent the 1970s editing photography magazines before becoming editor of an early UK computer magazine, Practical Computing. In 1983, he started writing a weekly computer column for the Guardian, and joined the staff to launch the newspaper's weekly computer supplement in 1985. This section launched the Guardian’s first website and, in 2001, its first real blog. When the printed section was dropped after 25 years and a couple of reincarnations, he felt it was a time for a change....
I spent several hours coming up with a title for this blog, before rejecting all the witty and/or scatological Jack jokes in favour of what we’d now call the Ronseal option: “It does exactly what it says on the tin”.I know I’m just moving with the times.
The best of ZDNet, delivered
- 1 Now is the time to switch back to Firefox
- 2 Now HTML 5 is finished, W3C boss Jeff Jaffe discusses what comes next
- 3 Who makes the most reliable hard disk drives? Backblaze has updated its stats
- 4 Marley thrashes Beats by Dre in FixYa's celebrity headphone battle
- 5 Google Plus: three years old and still failing as a social network