If you like the looks of the HTC Touch Diamond, but want something in a non-touch screen form factor with a traditional phone keypad then your wish has come true in the form of the newly announced HTC S740 Windows Mobile 6.1 device. This device slid under the radar with not a single rumor about the announcement, which is pretty surprising given today's tendency to have leaks appear early. The HTC S740 (where is the cool name for it?) will be available in September in Europe and there is no word yet on U.S. availability.
As you can see in the small photo here and in the HTC image gallery this is a device that looks like a standard candy bar phone with a display and phone keypad, but it also slides open to reveal a full QWERTY keyboard for faster text entry.
Specifications of the HTC S740 include:
- Windows Mobile 6.1 Standard
- Qualcomm MSM7225 528MHz processor
- Networks: WCDMA/HSDPA: 900/2100 MHz for EU and Asia
- GSM/GPRS/EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz
- Display: 2.4-inch QVGA screen
- Camera: 3.2 megapixel with fixed focus
- Internal memory: 256 MB flash; 256 MB RAM
- Memory card: microSD
- WLAN: 802.11b/g
- Bluetooth®: 2.0 with EDR
- GPS: GPS/AGPS
- Interface: HTC ExtUSB
- Battery: 1000 mAh
- FM Radio
- Size: 116.3 x 43.4 x 16.3 mm
- Weight: 140g with battery
This new devices looks to be the successor to the HTC Vox (aka S710) I checked out last year, but in a much slicker form factor. I want to hear how solid the keyboard slider is on this device, but if it works well then this is a compelling device with the fast processor, ample memory, and wireless functionality.