The week is almost over and, as we catch up on what happened overnight in this Thursday issue of Technolatte, it looks like Kim Dotcom's battle with US authorities is beginning to look that way, too.
Megaupload founder Dotcom has said that he will go willingly to the US, rather than face extradition. The catch is, in return, he wants to have his funds unfrozen so that he can pay his lawyers and his living expenses. Dotcom actually has until March next year before the extradition case resumes, during which time he won't be making money from his popular upload site.
But not everyone has been blocked from making questionable online commercial ventures. Criminals in the US attempted to infiltrate chemical firm DSM by "losing" USB sticks in the company's parking lot, which were laden with malware. If it sounds vaguely familiar, that's because the Western Australian auditor general did it last year with impressive results, and the US Department of Defence copied that action, shortly after. It looks like criminals took the lesson to heart. The most recent case, however, was less impressive. DSM didn't fall for the ruse, detecting the malware and blocking it. Additionally, because DSM considered the attackers attempts such a miserable failure, it didn't think it was worth notifying the police.
While that attempt failed, Microsoft is quite worried about a yet to be disclosed vulnerability that might affect its Windows Gadgets platform. It plans to quickly ditch the platform, after finding out that two security researchers would be talking at the next Black Hat security conference about how the gadgets can be exploited.
It's Microsoft's other gadget that has CIOs in Asia excited, however. Following on from Australia's CIO Jury, the Asian panel also looked at Microsoft's Surface tablet and raised their concerns on pricing, software integration and how compatible it would be with the Office suite. The panel said that it would provide a real alternative to the Apple iPad, but this judgement was a close call, with only one vote, from the 12-strong panel, tipping the scales in Microsoft's favour.
Apple might not be targeting the Surface tablet, but it is certainly going after Samsung. Following the injunction against the sale of the Galaxy Nexus in the US, Samsung has reportedly stopped its Galaxy S III from being able to conduct searches for on-device content or the web via the omnipresent Google search bar. The block of the feature was rolled out earlier this week as a security update for some GS3 owners in the US.
And speaking of galaxies, our friends in the UK are still fixated on outer space. Not content with building commercial spaceships, the UK space industry is now looking at whether it can build the first privatised spaceport. If the space race is rebooted, it looks like the UK might have the best shot of winning, considering most space-capable countries are still looking at rocket technologies.
Updated at 10.49am, 12 July 2012: the cessation of the search function for the Samsung Galaxy S III was not due to direct action by Apple, but rather followed Apple action on another Samsung device.