Facebook to start ad-targeting program with website tracking

Facebook to start ad-targeting program with website tracking

Summary: The social network also said the new program will give users more control over the ads they see via a preferences tool.

SHARE:
4
ad-preferences-screenshot

Facebook announced Thursday that it will soon begin an ad-targeting program that draws from users' browsing history and frequented apps.

The social network also said the new program will give users more control over the ads they see via a preferences tool, which Facebook said lets users see why they are seeing certain ads and allows them to make changes to their supposed interests.

The move comes as Facebook begins the ramp up of its advertising efforts to compete with the likes of Google for ad dollars. 

The concept of targeted advertising is not new and is a common practice throughout the Internet (and on Google). But given Facebook’s history with user privacy issues, the social network felt the need to offer up an explanation of the program and provided a link for those wishing to opt out of the tracking aspect. 

As for the preferences function, Facebook explained it as a tool "accessible from every ad on Facebook that explains why you're seeing a specific ad and lets you add and remove interests that we use to show you ads." 

Facebook said it plans to roll out the program over the next few weeks, starting with the US.

Read more:

Topics: Apps, Social Enterprise

Kick off your day with ZDNet's daily email newsletter. It's the freshest tech news and opinion, served hot. Get it.

Talkback

4 comments
Log in or register to join the discussion
  • re: Facebook to start ad-targeting program with website tracking

    > Facebook ... will soon begin an ad-targeting program that draws
    > from users' browsing history and frequented apps. The social
    > network also said the new program will give users more control
    > over the ads they see

    LOL! How about giving users control over their browsing history and their apps?!
    none none
  • Just one more reason ......

    why I choose to have nothing to do with this so-called service.
    da philster
  • Hackers.. dime a dozen

    Doesn't matter what software you use, or what 'smartphone' you've chosen - hackers can get at ANYTHING they care to. Just be happy that 98% of them mean no harm... but the other 2% can literally control your on-line or wireless destiny. Wise up.
    TampaBri
  • Browsing History???

    What gives Facebook or any other online "service" the "right" to access your browsing history........... Or ANYTHING that is stored on your personal computer? I briefly had a facebook account a number of years ago because I wanted access for a specific goal. One source of real aggravation was that they would access my address book, and I had no control over it. While the goal of connecting people is laudable in the context of social networking, I want CONTROL over this. I don't want Facebook broadcasting my presence to everybody I might have some remote connection to. Obviously Facebook is NOT for me. If you believe in privacy at any level, social networking is NOT for you.

    Nothing on the internet is really "free" .......... it has to be paid for somehow, and in that respect, I find "targeted" adds much more palatable than the old shotgun method. Good well targeted advertising is a service to both the retailer and the customer. It allows me to find what I'm looking for, and can connect me to deals I might otherwise miss.

    H.W.
    **owly**