I only carry a camera, a DSLR, when I want to take high quality photos of my daughter's playing sports. At all other times I rely on my smartphones to get the job done and they are now good enough to replace a point and shoot for me. An very popular $4.99 iOS app, Snapseed, just launched today for Android (Play Store link) and dropped to free for iOS. You may recall that Google aquired Snapseed developer Nik Software in September and is already enhancing the software by providing active support for the application.
Snapseed is not really a rival to Instagram (yet), except in terms of photo editing functionality. I actually find Snapseed much more user friendly for photo editing and gives me more custom options. As I have learned over the past few months of using Instagram, that service is more about the social networking aspect than about the photo editing functionality. However, Snapseed for Android provides deep integration with Google+ so there is the potential for Snapseed to become such a competitor with Instagram, especially when you consider the sheer numbers of Android users and the growing community of people using Google+.
I have Snapseed on my Galaxy Note II and used it this morning for the first time. I love the quick and easy image editing functions that let me simply swipe up and down and left and right to alter images, even changing just selected areas of the images. As stated in the Play Store description, the following adjustments are supported:
- Auto Correct - Automatically analyzes your photo and adjusts color and exposure to perfection.
- Selective Adjust - Make precise selections and enhancements to specific areas of your photos in seconds with Nik Software’s revolutionary U Point technology.
- Tune Image - Use Ambience to create depth and vibrancy that uniquely adapts to colors and textures. Adjust White Balance, Saturation, Contrast, more.
- Straighten & Rotate - Rotate 90° and/or straighten photos with simple gesture controls.
- Crop - Easily crop images to remove distracting parts of your photo with standard aspect ratios, or a free crop.
- Black & White - Get that classic Black and White look with this darkroom-inspired filter.
- Vintage Films - Make any photo look like a vintage color film photo from the 50’s, 60’s or 70’s.
- Drama - Add style with a custom effect specifically tailored to your photos, ranging from subtle textures to wildly artistic effects.
- Grunge - Give your photos a totally unique, hip, and dingy look.
- Tilt-Shift - Create a narrow in-focus area designed to simulate depth of field, common in a Miniature Scene look.
- Details - Enhance details with traditional sharpening or the unique Structure control found in the Nik Software professional products.
- Center Focus - Draw attention to the subject of your photo by blurring and adjusting the brightness of the surrounding background.
- Organic Frames - Add stylized borders to photos for the perfect finishing touch.
Snapseed for Android works on Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) and later devices, including both smartphones and tablets. JPEG and TIFF images are supported.