A 57-year-old man has been killed on a National Broadband Network (NBN) site on the New South Wales south coast, NBN Co has confirmed.
Emergency services were called to the site at about 11.30am (AEST) on Friday after reports that a man had been hit by a truck, an ambulance spokeswoman told AAP.
The man had been working for a concreting company at a nearby house and got trapped between his firm's truck and a second truck operated by NBN Co, the Kiama Independent reported.
Police said the Lake Heights man had been getting something from the back of his company's truck when an unaccompanied learner driver got into a second truck parked immediately behind.
When the second truck's engine started, the vehicle lurched forward, pinning the man between the vehicles.
Despite attempts at CPR until paramedics arrived, the man died at the scene.
The 20-year-old male driver of the second truck was taken to hospital for mandatory testing.
NBN Co has confirmed the incident and is working with its contractor to assist the police in their investigations.
Federal Communications Minister Stephen Conroy said he was deeply saddened by the loss of life.
"The thoughts of the government are with the family and friends of the deceased, and those involved in this shocking tragedy," Senator Conroy said in a statement.
"The government will closely monitor the outcomes of the investigations that are now under way."