Photos: Emerging technologies at MIT

Photos: Emerging technologies at MIT

Summary: Massachusetts Institute of Technology's Kresge Auditorium -- the site of MIT's Emerging Technology Conference -- on a clear, crisp, cool morning just before the September 2005 edition of the event.

SHARE:
TOPICS: Laptops
0

 |  Image 15 of 17

  • Thumbnail 1
  • Thumbnail 2
  • Thumbnail 3
  • Thumbnail 4
  • Thumbnail 5
  • Thumbnail 6
  • Thumbnail 7
  • Thumbnail 8
  • Thumbnail 9
  • Thumbnail 10
  • Thumbnail 11
  • Thumbnail 12
  • Thumbnail 13
  • Thumbnail 14
  • Thumbnail 15
  • Thumbnail 16
  • Thumbnail 17
  • Nolan Bushnell, the inventor of the video game that may have started it all -- pong -- speaking at MIT's Emerging Technologies Conference.

  • Segway inventor Dean Kamen talking about his next invention at MIT's Emerging Technologies Conference. According to Kamen, billions of dollars are being poured into curing diseases that afflict 20 percent of the world's ill. But the other 80 percent are succumbing to bad, undrinkable (unpotable) water. So, he's building a dirt cheap box that solves the problem and that can be distributed all over the world. Said Kamen about how to make it work: "Just add water." According to Kamen's co-workers, the device even works with urine. "If it has water in it, we can get drinking water from it," one of them said.

  • Dean Kamen's instruction sheet for how to use his invention for purifying water: In case you can't read it, step 1 is "Just add any water." Step 2 is "See step 1." Said Kamen, the goal was to devise a box that makes commercially available purified water look like toxic waste.

Topic: Laptops

Kick off your day with ZDNet's daily email newsletter. It's the freshest tech news and opinion, served hot. Get it.

Related Stories

Talkback

0 comments
Log in or register to start the discussion