We know that Microsoft and Nokia are having an event in New York on Wednesday, 5 September, to reveal upcoming Windows Phone 8 devices, but that is all we know for sure at this point. The folks at The Verge posted details on the possible Nokia Lumia 920 and Nokia Lumia 820 and we can see both devices are realistic and possible.
Nokia Lumia 920
The rumored Nokia Lumia 920 will replace the Nokia Lumia 900 as the high end device. Rumored specifications include 1.5 GHz dual-core processor, 1GB RAM, 32GB internal storage, 1.3 megapixel front facing camera, and 4.5 inch HD display. There is also speculation that this device will include a PureView camera, but unlike the fabulous 808 PureView indications are that this will have an 8 megapixel one and not 41 megapixel. We will have to wait until Wednesday to see what the device actually contains. Unfortunately, it looks like the device won't be available until late October or November.
Nokia Lumia 820
The rumored Nokia Lumia 820 looks to be Nokia's new mid-range WP8 device with a 4.3 inch display, 8GB storage and microSD card slot, 1.5 GHz dual-core processor, 1GB RAM, and camera similar to the Lumia 920. It may also have changeable rear covers, similar to the current Lumia 710 device.
Wireless charging via Qi technology
The other rumored feature of these two devices that I find appealing is the support for Qi charging technology. I had this on my Samsung Droid Charge with special back cover and still have my Energizer Qi charging pad so I may finally be able to dust it off and get some use out of it again.
I like the color options and bump up in specs, but I am left wondering if there is enough here to get customers to finally look at Windows Phone. Samsung already revealed their Windows Phone 8 high end device that is basically a Galaxy S III running Windows Phone 8. HTC is likely to make an announcement soon as well, I am guessing it will be something like an HTC One X with WP8. With a new Android Nexus, maybe more than one, likely appearing before November and the new iPhone being announced in a couple of weeks is there a compelling reason for the consumer to choose one of these Windows Phone 8 devices?
Related ZDNet posts
- Nokia Lumia 900 Tango update now available, press conference with Microsoft on 5 September
- Top off your Droid Charge with the Energizer Qi-enabled Inductive Charger
- White Nokia Lumia 900 Stormtrooper phone is set for stun
- The Nokia Lumia 900 will be a hot seller on AT&T (review and gallery)
- Reviewers overwhelmingly like the Nokia Lumia 900, consumers will too
- Another ZDNet Great Debate lost, still not giving up on Windows Phone
- Consumer Reports recommends Nokia Lumia 900 for dads and grads
- CTIA 2012: Nokia announces new exclusive Lumia Windows Phone apps