7 of 7Image
Not just for web pages
The web is made up of a lot more than just web pages and is home to all sorts of filetypes, from PDFs to Word documents.
For example, want PDF documents related to astronomy, use astronomy filetype:pdf. Want Word documents instead of PDFs? Use astronomy filetype:doc.
Make it timely
Sometimes you want to search for timely information. To do this you carry out your search as normal and then click on Search tools and change Anytime to the desired range.
If you want to stop Google trying to interpret what you type into the search box and just do a plain vanilla search, click on All results and choose Verbatim instead. This will, according to the search documentation, prevent Google from:
- making automatic spelling corrections
- personalizing your search by using information such as sites you’ve visited before
- including synonyms of your search terms
- finding results that match similar terms to those in your query
- searching for words with the same stem
- making some of your terms optional