2 of 5Image
Submarine cable 1906 workers
Workers (above) in 1906 tend to the cable at Porthcurno beach.
With the completion of the telegraph line to Bombay in 1870 — which was also laid by the SS Great Eastern — Porthcurno became the epicentre of international communications. For almost 100 years, it was home to one of the world's largest telegraph stations and a training college.
The telegraph station today has been preserved as part of the Porthcurno Telegraph Museum.
Photo credit: Cable & Wireless Worldwide