5 of 11Image
The all-new HTC One is the first of two new kids on the block in terms of Android-powered smartphones.
Under the hood, the HTC One isn't all that different to Samsung's new Galaxy S4 — it features the same Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 CPU (although it runs a little slower), 2GB of RAM, and a 1080p screen — but it is also a very different beast thanks to Sense, the bold new user interface HTC has loaded into the smartphone. It also features an aluminum shell, unlike the Samsung Galaxy S4, which has a plastic shell.
- Jelly Bean (Android 4.2) with HTC's Sense user interface
- 1.7GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 600
- 4.7-inch Super LCD, Full HD, high-pixel-density (468ppi) display
- 4MP rear camera
- 2.1MP front camera
- 32/64GB internal storage
Samsung Galaxy S4
There's an awful lot to like about the Galaxy S4 — the powerful CPU, plenty of storage space, a user-replaceable battery, the microSD slot, the fact that it can be used as a remote control for a DVR. It is very much like HTC's new One handset, except marginally better in almost every way (except, perhaps, for the plastic shell).
Another quality handset from the company that is now the king of the Android smartphones.
- Jelly Bean (Android 4.2.2)
- 1.9GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 (1.6GHz octa-core processor offered in some markets)
- 5-inch Super AMOLED high-pixel-density (441ppi) display
- 13MP rear camera
- 2MP front camera
- 16/32/64GB internal storage
- microSD slot
Sony Xperia Z Ultra
A newcomer to the list. Sony's Xperia Z Ultra packs a lot of cool features under the hood, sporting the sharpest LCD panel on the market, and a 13-megapixel camera capable of capturing HDR video.
This handset is also thin, coming in at a svelte 6.5-milimeters. But don't the thinness fool you, the Xperia Z Ultra is tough, featuring tempered glass, and a dustproof and waterproof build, rated to with IP58.
This is the smartphone you need if you want to be able to submerge it in 1 meter of water and still have a working handset.
- Jelly Bean (Android 4.2)
- 2.2GHz quad-core Snapdragon 800 processor
- 6.4-inch TFT 1920 x 1080 display, powered by an updated Sony Mobile BRAVIA Engine 2 with 342 pixels-per-inch
- 8MP rear-facing camera
- 2MP front-facing 1080p HD video capture
- 16GB internal storage
- Compatible with the Sony SmartWatch 2
- microSD slot