4 of 10Image
I discovered this utility when the Nexus 7 was released. That tablet had autorotation that would switch from portrait to landscape orientation when the tablet was rotated. Google chose to only display the home screen in portrait, even when the tablet was rotated to landscape.
This was extremely annoying for me as I want my home screens to always reflect how the tablet is being held.
Enter Ultimate Rotation, an app that forces phones and tablets to have the rotation behavior that the owner wants. It can override the OS, and autorotate or not depending on the settings. This simple control is very useful on any device.
While my current Android devices autorotate as expected, Ultimate Rotation lets me put a widget control on the home screen to temporarily override that behavior when it makes sense. I usually tap the control to disable autorotation when I'm reading a book on my device, as I only do that in portrait.
Ultimate Rotation — $2.99 (7-day free trial available)
If you like to take notes on your Android phone or tablet, Papyrus is a great way to do so. It's strength is handling handwritten notes, and if you own a device with stylus support you will love Papyrus.
Those without stylus support needn't fret; the app allows handwriting notes with a finger tip. This works much better than you might think.
Papyrus — Free (Premium features are available via in-app purchase)
- Take notes naturally with a pen on active-pen enabled devices
- Take notes with your finger or passive stylus (if you don’t have an active pen)
- Pen strokes are vector graphics
- Undo/redo strokes
- Select, move, and resize strokes
- Change the color and weight of selected strokes
- Cut, copy, and paste strokes between notes
- Multiple paper types and sizes
- Two finger scroll
- Two finger pinch-to-zoom
- Two finger double tap to zoom to 100 percent
- Organize notes within notebooks (long press, drag and drop)
- Sort notes and notebooks
- Image import, crop and resize
- Export notes to PDF, PNG, or JPEG for printing, archiving or sharing
- Share notes with friends and colleagues via email, Evernote and other services
- Samsung Multi-Window support (available on Galaxy Note 2, Note 8.0 and Note 10.1)
- Shortcuts to create a new note or open a notebook
BaconReader for Reddit
If you spend much time on Reddit, you must get this app. BaconReader for Reddit is designed to bring the far-reaching areas of Reddit to your device. It features an easy-to-use interface that lets even the most experienced Redditors find what is of interest.
BaconReader Premium for Reddit — $1.99 (free ad supported version available)
- Jelly Bean compatibility with expandable notifications and other Jelly Bean features
- Complete tutorial guide to reddit, for new and experienced redditors
- FULL Screen mode
- Tablet-optimized design
- Sharp, ICS inspired design, with easier reddit navigation and more sorting options
- Full user profile support
- Color coded comment threads
- Full-featured reddit inbox
- Rageface and look of disapproval support
- Easy access to subreddits using the subreddit sidebar with long-press
- Search for new subreddits based on name or keyword and subscribe to them