5 of 11Image
Google Nexus 5
Not only has it been put together using some of the best components currently available, it also offers the purest Android experience possible, and gives owners access to the latest Android 4.4 KitKat. Owners also will get their updates direct from Google and won't need to wait for hardware OEMs or carriers to release customized updates (or just never receive updates, as is still the case with many handsets).
I've always found Nexus-branded hardware to be solid and reliable, but I'd give this a few weeks for Google to shake out any potential bugs before recommending it to anyone other than hardcore Android enthusiasts.
- KitKat (Android 4.4)
- 2.23GHz quad-core Snapdragon 800 CPU
- 4.95-inch 1920x1080 display with a pixel density of 445 pixels-per-inch
- 8MP rear camera
- 1.3MP front camera
- 16/32GB internal storage
Under the hood, the HTC One isn't all that different to Samsung's new Galaxy S4 — it features the same Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 CPU (although it runs a little slower), 2GB of RAM, and a 1080p screen — but it is also a very different beast thanks to Sense, the bold new user interface HTC has loaded into the smartphone. It also features an aluminum shell, unlike the Samsung Galaxy S4, which has a plastic shell.
- Jelly Bean (Android 4.2) with HTC's Sense user interface
- 1.7GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 600
- 4.7-inch Super LCD, Full HD, high-pixel-density (468ppi) display
- 4MP rear camera
- 2.1MP front camera
- 32/64GB internal storage
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
The Galaxy Note 3 is, as you can probably gather, a sequel to the Galaxy Note 2. It brings a whole raft of improvements to the table, and it also supports Samsung's new Galaxy Gear smartwatch.
Probably the biggest downside to this handset is that it feels plasticky and a little bit cheap in the hand, this shouldn't put you off.
- Jelly Bean (Android 4.3)
- 2.3GHz Snapdragon 800 quad-core processor
- 5.7-inch 1920 x 1080 display with 388 pixels-per-inch
- 3GB of RAM
- Stylus (a pro or a con depending on your view of them)
- 13MP rear camera
- 2MP front camera
- 4G LTE
- 32/64GB or internal storage
- microSD card slot for expansion