1 of 21Image
New Start screen theme functionality lets you personalize your device
As detailed by ZDNet's Mary Jo Foley, Microsoft's Windows Phone 8.1 Developer Preview was released for developers to test out before manufacturers release updates to existing devices. WPCentral provides specific instructions for you to get it on your device even if you have never developed an application, since Microsoft allows tech savvy folks to get the update along with developers.
I've captured screenshots showing some of the newest features of WP 8.1 Developer Preview as I have been testing it out on a Nokia Lumia Icon. I will post more of my thoughts as I spend more time with this over the next couple of weeks. In the meantime, make sure to read Mary Jo's take on using Windows Phone 8.1 DP.
- Cortana: I want Microsoft's Windows Phone 8.1 developer bits
- Cortana blows away Siri and Google Now, may bring me back to Windows Phone
- Five reasons I am done with Windows Phone after 3.5 years
- Verizon Nokia Lumia Icon review: There's a new Windows Phone champ on the block
- AT&T Nokia Lumia 1520 review: Beast of a phone, but not the best
- Five reasons I dropped my iPhone 5 for a Nokia Lumia 1020
- AT&T Nokia Lumia 1020 review: The best Windows Phone ever made
New Start theme setting
You can select different background images and then see many of your Live Tiles change to show parts of the image. It's pretty slick how scrolling up on the Start screen scrolls through the full image even if some of your Live Tiles don't show the theme image.