The more I continue to use the newthe more I am convinced it is the smartphone for me. However, as a regular Windows Phone and Android user, there are still a few things I do miss from these two mobile platforms.
Prior to the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus announcements, I listedand was thankfully proven wrong by three of the five.
The iPhone 6 Plus comes with VoLTE support (on T-Mobile and Verizon), long battery life, and NFC. Granted NFC is still very limited, actually you can't even use it until Apple Pay launches.
The price of Android and Windows Phone smartphones is much less than the iPhone 6 Plus and a benefit of both operating systems. Looking at the true full price you will find high end Android smartphones priced $150 to $250 less than the 16GB iPhone 6 Plus.
Benefits of Android
For the last couple of years, Android has been my primary smartphone platform with the newbeing one of my favorites. I still do enjoy using Android and here are five benefits over the iPhone.
- Ability to text from a PC using MightyText or Moto Connect
- microSD card support for unlimited storage
- Advanced camera software that lets you take some very creative shots and share your photos and videos in unique ways
- Infrared remote control is handy
- File system access for work on the go
Benefits of Windows Phone
The Nokia Lumia 1520 served as myfor quite a while and I have always had a special place for Windows Phone in my heart. Five things I miss using on Windows Phone, include:
- Cortana just can't be beat
- Wireless charging is extremely convenient
- The glanceable Today screen is efficient and functional
- Like Android, microSD expansion gives you unlimited storage capacity
- I still find an integrated FM radio quite useful
Why I still prefer the new iPhone 6 Plus
Despite a few things available on Android and Windows Phone that are not on the iPhone, I don't think I am going back to either anytime soon. Apple's new iPhone 6 Plus is an amazing piece of hardware that satisfies the big screen fan like me. I also prefer the iPhone 6 Plus for the following reasons:
- Apps come to iOS first and I am tired of missing out
- iMessage is very convenient when communicating with my daughters
- TouchID provides a secure, flawless way to unlock your phone
- Multitasking works best for me on iOS
- The display is the best available
Related ZDNet iPhone 6 Plus coverage