For a while now I've had reports coming in from MacBook owners complaining about the rubber surface on the bottom of the system coming loose. It seems that Apple has been listening to the complaints and kicked off a 'Bottom Case Replacement Program.'
Here's the deal:
- The issue only affects unibody MacBook units
- These systems were shipped between October 2009 and April 2011
- This program will cover MacBooks for two years from original purchase date
If you have a peeling MacBook, here are your options:
- Genius Bar appointment at your local Apple Store
- Contact an Apple Authorized Service Provider
- Order a replacement bottom and fit it yourself
If you order a replacement bottom for fitting yourself you'll get everything you need to do the job - new bottom, screws, screwdriver, and instructions. Replacing the part is as simple and unscrewing a few screws, lifting off the part and refitting the new part.