Apple has unveiled a repair extension program for MacBook Pro notebooks exhibiting video problems.
Apple "has determined that a small percentage of MacBook Pro systems may exhibit distorted video, no video, or unexpected system restarts" and will repair these systems free of charge.
The issues covered are:
- Distorted or scrambled video on the computer screen
- No video on the computer screen (or external display) even though the computer is on
- Computer restarts unexpectedly
The products affected have been identified as:
- MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011)
- MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2011)
- MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2012)
- MacBook Pro (17-inch Early 2011)
- MacBook Pro (17-inch Late 2011)
- MacBook Pro (Retina, 15 inch, Early 2013)
The program begins in the US and Canada on February 20, 2015, and in the rest of the world from February 27, 2015.
More information is available from Apple.
Apple will also be contacting customers who paid for a repair either though Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider to arrange reimbursement.