Ready for yet another Facebook milestone today? Out of the 800 million monthly active users, Facebook says it has 350 million monthly active mobile users.
In other words, 43.75 percent of Facebook's user base accesses the service from a mobile device. That number has been slowly growing towards the 50 percent mark, and it will probably pass it before the social network hits 1 billion users.
Facebook has said (or at least implied) many times that mobile is a big focus for the company. Mobile is of course the future of the whole technology industry, and Palo Alto knows this.
In March 2011, Facebook rolled out a major upgrade to the mobile version of its site, and also noted that it passed the 250 million mobile user milestone. This means the company has gained 100 million mobile users in the past six months or so.
Today's f8 developer conference did not include mobile-specific announcements because there was nothing new to tell developers. That being said, Facebook has a lot in the mobile pipeline, including an iPad app and video calling. I expect many mobile announcements to come before the end of the year.
- Facebook confirms it now has 800 million users
- Facebook has just 17 Open Graph launch partners
- Facebook's Zuckerberg unveils revamped profile: Timeline
- Screenshots: the Facebook Timeline and the Open Graph
- Zuckerberg: 500 million daily active users on Facebook
- Watch it live: Facebook 2011 f8 developer conference