As promised, Google has started to roll out the Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich to all Nexus S. If you've not been offered this update, here's how to get it downloaded and installed onto your Nexus S GSM handset NOW!
- Download the Android 4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich update.
- Connect your Nexus S to your computer via USB and copy update.zip to the root of your SD card (Do not drop it into a folder or this won't work!).
- Power down your Nexus S and power it back on while holding down the volume up button.
- Use the volume buttons to navigate to RECOVERY mode and press the power button.
- When you see the exclamation mark on the screen, DON'T PANIC! Press the power button followed by volume up.
- Select the option to Update from SD card select the update zip package you downloaded earlier and press the power button to confirm.
- The update will now install automatically. When it's down your Nexus S will boot up into Android 4.0.3 ... enjoy your Ice Cream Sandwich!
If you want you can also check to see if the download can be done over the air (OTA):
Click on the Menu button then Settings > About phone > System update.
I suggest you only do this when you have a strong WiFi signal (think about your data caps!) and your handset is fully charged.
And you're done!