As a system administrator and long-time user, administrator and manager of virtual machines of all types, I know firsthand how difficult it is to manage a virtual infrastructure. I feel your pain. Users nipping at you constantly for more resources, management nipping at you for more automation and family nipping at you for more family togetherness. Virtualization, on any scale, is a difficult mistress to appease. I am here to help.
My goal in this blog is to tackle technical issues, to explore virtualization trends, to explain best practices, to investigate new technologies, to comment on newsworthy topics and to become a source and a voice for all types of virtualization to which you can refer on a regular basis. I deal with virtualization in the trenches and I deal with it daily. In the course of my career, I've used every virtualization technology and was an original beta tester for VMware's first product that we simply called VMware.
Whether you're dipping a toe into virtualization or you're drowning in it, you'll find something of value here. Ask questions, interact and be a part of the whole virtualization frenzy. And, yes, the frenzy includes cloud topics. Cloud computing is an extension of virtualization and I'll spend significant time discussing it, its positives, its negatives and its annoyances.
The following is a list of a few of the topics that I'm looking forward to discussing with you:
- Generic virtualization - Virtualization concepts and theories.
- Virtual Desktop Infrastructure - Virtual desktops of every type.
- Vendor-related topics - Who, what, where, when and why.
- Technical problems - Tips, tricks, fixes and tweaks.
- News - New products, new features and new spins.
- Interviews - From the horse's mouth to your eyes and ears.
- Product reviews - Breaking stuff for the fun of it.
- Lessons learned - Real lessons and the battle scars to prove it.