Iomega is stepping up its storage catalog with a new leader at the top: the StorCenter px12-350r Network Storage Array.
As the successor to last year's Iomega StorCenter ix12-300r, the now-flagship px12-350r is being targeted at small to medium-sized businesses. Although this storage array could be used for multiple industries, Iomega reps are touting it most for financial services, retail, education, and government (local to national).
Referring to the product as a "multi-purpose" device, Iomega’s senior director of network storage products Jay Krone said in an interview that "the px12 is the only product in the market today" that he knows of today that natively supports Avamar deduplicating backup technology.
He reiterated the importance of the device being to back itself up to a remote branch or office in the case of disaster recovery.
It’s unfortunate, but buildings burn down, lightning does strike. so if you have two copies of the data in the same building, and the building burns down, you have a problem.
There are three big hardware incremental enhancements with the new storage array: more memory, faster and bigger hard drives (starting at 2TB or 3TB at 7200 RPM), and the addition of solid state drives.
Some of the other notable features on this network storage array include:
- Intel Core 2 Duo processors
- Tops out at 425MB/second in sequential read I/O performance
- Four gigabit Ethernet ports with bonding capability
- Advanced Data protection with RAID levels 1, 10, 5 and 6 with hot spare, automatic RAID rebuild and hot swap functionality (RAID 0 and JBOD mode also available)
- UPS support, hot swap drives and data replication with device-to-device copy jobs that can be defined and scheduled
- Certified for VMware vSphere 5, Citrix XenServer 5.6, and Windows Server 2003/2008/2008 R2
- Windows Active Directory Trusted Domains, MSCS and Hyper-V Live migration support
- Embedded AXIS Video Hosting System that provides support for up to 12 AXIS IP security cameras
- Supports Iomega Personal Cloud technology
Shipping worldwide starting today, the StorCenter px12-350r is available in two models: the 8TB model (4 x 2TB HDD) for $5,999.99, and the 12TB model (4 X 3TB HDD) is $6,999.99. Both options incorporate 7,200 RPM SATA hard drives.
Other add-on options include two different expansion pack (8TB total for $1,399.99 and 12TB total for $1,699.99), 128GB SSDs for $399.99 each, as well as spare fan and power supplies.
- Iomega's Mac Companion Hard Drive can charge your gadgets
- New iMac with Thunderbolt RAID: 1st report
- Hitachi rolls out Touro Pro external hard drives with free cloud storage
- Time to celebrate World Backup Day 2011
- Hands-on review: Iomega Home Media Network Hard Drive, Cloud Edition