NSW government CIO won't stick around

NSW government CIO Paul Edgecumbe has resigned from his position as the state's first government-wide technology chief after just two years in the job.Edgecumbe was not available for comment, but a government spokesperson said he would leave his job on May 25.

NSW government CIO Paul Edgecumbe has resigned from his position as the state's first government-wide technology chief after just two years in the job.

Edgecumbe was not available for comment, but a government spokesperson said he would leave his job on May 25. His immediate plans have not been revealed.

He was appointed to the high-ranking position from his previous role as CIO of NSW Department of Education and Training. The creation of the NSW government CIO position was trumpeted at the time as one that would be a central point of contact for the public sector and wider industry.

Last year Edgecumbe announced the government's four year People First IT strategy. The strategy aims to save the state AU$565 million through consolidation of back office applications, as well as an undisclosed number of redundancies.

A search for Edgecumbe's replacement would begin "in the near future", according to the spokesperson.