I'm going to be heading down to Web 2.0 Expo tomorrow and in looking at the schedule I'm really excited about the presence and sponsorships of several important RIA companies. I'll first start with the talks you should be keeping an eye on and then go down the list of sponsor's booths that will be worth checking out.
Tuesday, April 22
- 9:00 AM Workshop - Cross-Cultural User-Experience Design
- 9:00 AM Workshop - Adobe Flex and AIR Boot Camp
Wednesday, April 23
- 8:30 AM - Designing the RIA Experience (Adobe "Thermo")
- 8:30 AM - Taking Web 2.0 Offline and On the Desktop (I'm giving this session with Dion Almaer from Google)
- 9:40 AM - Sticky Eyeballs: How UX Wins Market Share
- 10:50 AM - Failing Fast : Get Your App Out of the Lab and into the Arena (This is a panel in which I'm participating)
- 10:50 AM - Responsible Web Design
- 1:30 PM - The Dark Side of Ajax
- 2:40 PM - Windows Live Platform: Take the Best of Windows Live and Make it Yours
Thursday, April 24
- 11:00 AM - Mobile Ajax and the Future of the Web
- 1:30 PM - From Desktop to Device: Moving into a Convergent World
- 3:50 PM - Adobe - RIA Applications and the Web
- 3:50 PM - Google App Engine: Making it Easier For Developers to Build and Scale Apps
Friday, April 25
- 11:00 AM - Next Generation Mobile UI
- 1:30 PM - Checking the "Feel" of Your UI with an Interaction Audit
- 3:50 PM - Do Try This at Home: Ajax Bookmarking, Cross-site Scripting, and other Web 2.0 Browser Hacks
And looking at the sponsor list there are quite a few RIA companies sponsoring - a good sign for the space.
- Microsoft - Hopefully lots of Silverlight stuff in conjunction with the Mesh
- Adobe - I know we'll be doing demos and having partners come to show off applications in the booth.
- Cynergy - One of the top RIA firms doing both Silverlight and Flex work
- AOL - My hunch is that this is mostly search or social stuff but they've been doing great things with Flex/AIR and acquired Yourminis, one of my favorite Flash companies of all time.
- Coghead - A company doing some cool Flex stuff.
- effectiveUI - Another great RIA firm.
- Curl - Doing lots of interesting RIA platform-building
- Octopz - A company I've only come across a few times but they seem to be using some Flash/Flex.
- Intuit - Just announced a developer platform where people can build Flex apps on top of QuickBase.
Did I miss anyone? I know there will be quite a few startups there so hopefully we get a nice mix of everything.
Update: Added Intuit