Last night I posted an entry that revealed the new Google Talk IM utility may well have some softphone capability soon. Quite likely both through Earthlink's vLing service as well as with the Gizmo Project (Sipphone)
When most of us think "softphones," we think Skype.
Here are some comments followed by the Author name of the poster:
"What does this mean for Skype long term? Hopefully better features for skype users. Maybe they will release the video conferencing earlier to steal some thunder."- salespit.
"The client looks very rudimentary. Handy it imports all your GMail contacts.
I don't see myself jumping ship just yet thanks."- JP White
"My first comments:
- Interface is dreadful
- Imports Gmail Contacts
- Not P2P, goes through a proxy
- Pretty little resizer things
- Horrible echo
- Accessible from standard Jabber clients
- Calls can often take 2+ minutes to connect
- Notifies you of new Gmail
- No Mac/Linux versions"- Kevin Delaney, co-founder of KhaosLabs and head developer of Skype Applications for Khaos
"Kevin it totally right about his list. the UI is horrIble. "Since it is using a proxy, who can garantee that big brother will not (be) listening?"- EggelaarAnd perhaps the starkest statement to date:
"It means Skype (has) got another rushed to market s**t competitor"- gwaelod
I'll keep my eye on this thread and update later.