At least seven in 10 IT-related job openings went begging this year, a new study shows. Looking forward into the year ahead, it appears demand will be strongest for information security skills, along with administrative and development abilities.
This analysis comes from CareerBuilder, written in partnership with Economic Modeling Specialists International (EMSI). The analysis looked at EMSI's labor market database, which pulls from over 90 national and state employment resources. CareerBuilder and EMSI looked at the average number of people hired per month in more than 700 occupations from January 2015 to September 2015, and compared that to the number of job postings for each occupation (aggregated from online job sites for the same period).
The most job vacancies were seen among IT, healthcare, and business leadership positions. Demand appears to be hottest for marketing managers, which recorded a total of 91% of openings going unfilled per month over the past year. (Yes, believe it or not, there appears to be a shortage of marketing pros...) Polymaths who have skills in both programming and a key business area can expect to be in really high demand.
Among leading IT areas, information security analyst jobs topped the category, with an average of 89% postings going unfilled. Cybersecurity is an area with incredible demand, as recently detailed in a report by CNBC's Jennifer Schlesinger. She cites the 2015 (ISC)2 Global Information Security Workforce Study, which projects 1.5 million unfilled jobs in cybersecurity globally by 2020.
Network and computer systems administrators also make the top 10 in hot occupations, with a 73% vacancy rate. Application software development jobs also are seeing a 73% job vacancy rate.
Here are the top jobs for now and the coming year, identified by EMSI and CareerBuilder:
- Marketing Managers: Postings: 91,630/month; Positions unfilled: 91%; Earnings: $61.12/hour
- Information Security Analysts: 31,059/month; Positions unfilled: 89%; Earnings: $42.72/hour
- Industrial Engineers: 55,264/month; Positions unfilled: 86%; Earnings: $39.18/hour
- Occupational Therapists: 31,546/month; Positions unfilled: 83%; Earnings: $37.89/hour
- Medical and Health Services Managers: 63,683/month; Positions unfilled: 81%; Earnings: $44.62/hour
- Speech-Language Pathologists: 27,789/month; Positions unfilled: 81%; Earnings: $34.40/hour
- Physical Therapists: 49,712/month; Positions unfilled: 80%; Earnings: $39.51/hour
- Human Resources Managers: 23,231/month; Positions unfilled: 75%; Earnings: $49.41/hour
- Sales Managers: 79,558/month; Positions unfilled: 75%; Earnings: $53.20/hour
- Network and Computer Systems Administrators: 69,636/month; Positions unfilled: 73%; Earnings: $36.44/hour
- Software Developers, Applications: 114,921/month; Positions unfilled: 73%; Earnings: $45.92/hour
- Web Developers: 52,431/month; Positions unfilled: 73%; Earnings: $30.52/hour
- Pharmacists: 44,738; Positions unfilled: 70%; Earnings: $58.15/hour
- Registered Nurses: Postings: 296,631/month; Positions unfilled: 67%; Earnings: $32.04/hour
- Computer Systems Analysts: 71,555/month; Positions unfilled: 65%; Earnings: $39.76/hour
- Mechanical Engineers: 28,033/month; Positions unfilled: 65%; Earnings: $39.93/hour
- Financial Managers: 63,157/month; Positions unfilled: 63%; Earnings: $55.44/hour
- Computer and Information Systems Managers: 35,758/month; Positions unfilled: 61%; Earnings: $61.37/hour
- Accountants and Auditors: 103,868/month; Positions unfilled 27%; Earnings: $31.70/hour