Sony has another wireless headphone set to introduce, which is capable of blasting 7.1-channel surround sound into your ears.
Looking very much like the recently announced RF865RK headset, the MDR-DS6500 can "stretch" 2- or 5.1-channel stereo sounds with the help of automatic tuning, Dolby Digital and Sony's signature Virtualphones technology. Those "uncompressed CD-quality" sounds can be transmitted to the wireless headset from the audio source up to 100m (328 feet) away.
Speaking of wireless, the Sony DS6500 gets its juice from the (pictured) stand that is plugged into the wall via AC adapter. A full charge takes about three hours, providing up to 20 hours of playback time.
Pricing hasn't been disclosed yet, but the Sony MDR-DS6500 wireless headphones will be available in May.
Related coverage on ZDNet:
- Sony PlayStation 3 sales surpass 50 million units worldwide
- Sony brings Music Unlimited to PlayStation Portable
- Is Sony working on an Android-based PlayStation tablet?
- TDK unleashes Life on Record premium boomboxes
- Sony takes a stab with new pair of DAB+ radios