In 2005 the open source movement went from strength to strength.
- The dangers posed by SCO and other patent claims faded, with each story gaining less-and-less play.
- ABM (Anybody But Microsoft) coalesced around open source. Unix virtually became Linux.
- Microsoft tried to crash the open source party.
- Real, successful open source start-ups emerged.
- Open source found success in the Windows world.
- The SMB (small-medium business) market opened up to open source.
I'm deliberately leaving some of the Top 10 blank, because this is a blog, and you're part of the content. (Maybe that's one of the trends.)
What do you think were the biggest open source stories of 2005? How would you complete the list above?