Our friends at WebLayers just released their annual Top Ten list of the worst computer glitches to have wreaked havoc across the globe this past year. I would have picked the Amazon Web Services outage as number one, but it looks like RIM walks away with the honors this year.
The glitches compiled by WebLayers actually had very grave consequences to large numbers of people. Communication was disabled, tax revenue went unclaimed, government secrets were stolen, and many small to medium-size businesses went dark for days and weeks as a result of software issues.
Here is the list:
1. Millions of RIM BlackBerry Users Lose Service
2. Software glitch costs UK tax office millions in lost revenue
3. Amazon's cloud collapses
4. Hacker attacks Sony Playstation Network account holders
5. Citigroup customers' information breached
6. Pentagon details major cyberattack
7. Computer glitch sets 450 highly dangerous prisoners free
8. Mercedes-Benz cars recalls 137,000 SUVs
9. More than 400,000 UK organ donation details stored incorrectly
10. Bug allows HP printers to be remotely hacked