The micro-blogging giant is expanding its Promoted Products advertising platform on its suite of mobile applications.
Specifically, the latest update for the iOS and Android Twitter apps will now include Promoted Accounts on the tweet stream timeline. An example is the Twitter account belonging to the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, seen in the side photo.
This isn't the first time we've seen Twitter's Promoted Products on the mobile scene. Promoted Tweets and Trends have been available on the apps for some time now, and Promoted Accounts could have been seen on the mobile browser version already.
For Twitter users who frequently use the desktop portal for writing and reading 140-character messages, this won't make much of a difference.
However, for mobile users, it might be seen as the first step in an inevitable and upcoming onslaught of mobile advertising within apps.
Image via Twitter
- Twitter exposes historical data in partnership with Datasift
- Twitter lures small businesses with advertising platform
- Is Skype a social network? Microsoft's dark horse has legs...
- Google+ Pages beating Twitter Pages, but Facebook still king
- Google Instant: More annoying now than ever before