Collaborative robotics giant Universal Robots is hiring more than 20 members of now-defunct Rethink Robotics, once a competitor. The announcement also came with news that UR will merge its Boston office with Rethink's former Boston headquarters.
The two firms were rivals in the close-knit robotics world prior to Rethink's unexpected demise in October. Though Universal Robots has always dominated the sector for market share, Rethink was one of the first to market and gained loyal cheerleaders with its charismatic flagship platforms, Baxter and Sawyer.
Collaborative robots, which work alongside workers outside cages that have traditionally confined industrial robots, represent the fastest growing industrial robotics segment. The cobot market could be worth $3.26 billion by 2022, up from $283 million last year, according to BIS Research.
The failure of Rethink due to financial troubles raised eyebrows, given the strength of the industry overall. The post-mortem analysis suggests that Rethink's troubles were a result of its adherence to its two flagship systems, which were anthropomorphic with two arms each. That's an outlier in a sector now dominated by single robotic arms with between 5 and 7 joints.
I've also heard from multiple sources that one of the primary problems for Rethink was its insistence on series elastic joints, which limit precise repeatability, a must for industries like components manufacturing.
Far from charity, the employee acquisitions will give UR needed engineering and customer expertise.
"Our new colleagues from Rethink have extensive expertise, knowledge and know-how not only about the technology but indeed also about the market conditions and what the customers' pain-points are," says Universal Robots' President Jürgen von Hollen. "All of this will benefit our customers and partners as we face an increase in competitors due to the huge market potential for collaborative robots."
Universal Robots was co-founded in 2005 and is a part of Teradyne Inc., headquartered in Odense, Denmark.
Best Black Friday 2018 deals:
- Amazon Seven Days of Black Friday Deals: All-time lows on office devices
- Amazon Black Friday 2018 deals: See early sales on Echo, Fire HD
- Best Buy Black Friday 2018 deals: Deep discounts on Apple Mac, Microsoft Surface
- Target Black Friday 2018 deals: $250 iPad mini 4, $120 Chromebook
- Walmart Black Friday 2018 deals: $99 Chromebook, $89 Windows 2-in-1
- Dell Black Friday 2018 deals: $120 Inspiron laptop, $500 gaming desktop
- Newegg Black Friday 2018 deals: $50 off Moto G6, $70 off Nest thermostat
- Office Depot Black Friday 2018 deals: $300 off Lenovo Flex, $129 HP Chromebook
- eBay Black Friday 2018 deals: See early sales on Galaxy Watch, Chromecast
- Lenovo Black Friday 2018 deals: ThinkPad laptops and more
- Microsoft Store Black Friday 2018 deals: Ad showcases Surface, laptop deals
- Windows laptops Black Friday deals: Dell, HP, Lenovo
- Chromebook Black Friday 2018 deals: Dell, Google, HP
- Best tablet Black Friday deals: Apple iPad, Amazon Fire
- Black Friday 2018 iPhone deals: $400 iPhone X gift card, BOGO iPhone XR
- Black Friday 2018 smartphone deals: OnePlus 6T, LG G7