(Credit: UNSW Press)
We've got a few copies of former Optus executive Paul Fletcher's new book Wired Brown Land? Telstra's Battle for Broadband floating around the office and it's time to pass one on.
The book, which is published by UNSW Press and launched this week, details the history of broadband in Australia and, our telco writer Suzanne Tindal writes in her review, highlights why it is impossible that Telstra will give up its fight for dominance, despite the wounds it has recently taken.
Our latest episode of Twisted Wire also features an interview with the author himself.
To win your own copy of Wired Brown Land, answer the following question in the talkback below this article, in 25 words or less.
The ZDNet.com.au editorial team will choose the entry which is the most creative and engaging after a week of discussion and announce the winner on Monday, 11 May. Terms and conditions here.
"What will be the best use for the Federal Government's National
Terms and Conditions:
1. Instructions on how to enter and how to claim prizes form part of these conditions.
2. Entry is only open to Australian residents. Employees of the Promoter, its affiliates & agencies associated with the promotion (& their immediate families) are ineligible.
3. Promoter is CBS Interactive Pty Ltd (ABN 41 092 094 525) of Level 12, 50 Goulburn Street, Sydney, NSW, 2000, Australia.
4. Competition commences 30 April 2009 and closes AEDST 5pm 10 May 2009.
5. To enter the competition readers of ZDNet.com.au, must submit an answer of 25 words to the question "What will be the best use for the Federal Government's National Broadband Network?"
6. The judging will take place at the promoter's office, Level 12, 50 Goulburn Street, Sydney, NSW, 2000, Australia. From AEDST 5pm 10 May 2009.
7. The winner will be notified by Phone or e-mail by 11 May 2009 and published on ZDNet.com.au by 12 May 2009.
8. The author of the most insightful response, as judged by the editors from CBS Interactive, will be deemed the winner. This competition is a game of skill. The major prize winner will receive a copy of Wired Brown Land valued at AU$34.95. Promoter's decision in relation to any aspect of this promotion is final and binding and no correspondence will be entered into.
10. The winner will be notified immediately using the contact details provided on the entry form. If the Promoter receives no response from the winner within 7 days of notification the promoter holds the right to conduct a redraw of the prize at the original place designated for the competition and a new winner will be drawn and notified. If the winner selected is under the age of 18, the prize will be awarded to their parent or guardian.
11. Entry into this promotion shall be deemed an acknowledgment and acceptance of these conditions. Promoter accepts no responsibility for illegible, damaged, late or misdirected entries/claims for any reason. Proof of posting shall not constitute proof of delivery. Promoter's decision in relation to any aspect of this promotion is final and binding and no correspondence will be entered into.
12. Promoter reserves the right to verify the validity of claims and entries and disqualify any entrant for tampering with the entry process, or for submitting a claim or entry that is not in accordance with these conditions.
13. Promoter shall not be liable for, and takes no responsibility in relation to, any loss or damage whatsoever suffered (including but not limited to indirect or consequential loss), or for personal injury suffered or sustained, as a result of taking any prize, except for any liability which cannot be excluded by law.
14. In the event of war, terrorism, state of emergency or disaster, the promoter reserves the right (subject to any written directions from the SA Lottery Department, Revenue SA) to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the promotion, subject to an written directions or conditions from any other relevant state or authority.
17. Insurance and warranty for the products will be the responsibility of the vendor suppliers of the prize. Warranty details for each of the components of the prize will be provided with the prize the promoter of this competition is CBS Interactive.