Microsoft has finally outlined the Windows 7 editions. Are there too many editions, too few or has Microsoft struck the right balance?
The editions are as follows:
- Windows 7 Starter Edition (aimed at emerging markets and netbooks)
- Windows 7 Home Basic (aimed at emerging markets)
- Windows 7 Home Premium (primary home edition)
- Windows 7 Professional (primary business edition)
- Windows 7 Ultimate (for consumers who wants everything)
- Windows 7 Enterprise (volume license only)
Note: My blogging colleague Ed Bott has more details on the different flavors.
My quick take is that this layout might just work because it really only leaves two editions for the home user - Premium and Professional. The rest are either niche or aimed at emerging markets.