I have been spending all week with my 32GB Dell Venue Pro and am LOVING the device. I plan to have a full review up on Thursday and after testing multiple Windows Phone 7 devices since last July I have to say the DVP is the BEST WP7 hardware available.
Last week there were 7,314 apps in the Marketplace, based up on the count on the Marketplace Browser website, and this week we are up to 7,852. This growth of 538 apps is quite a bit higher than the over 400 apps per week that we have seen over the past month and a half. Again we have another week with just a single Xbox LIVE game appearing. The new game is called Tiki Towers and it is available for $2.99. I installed the trial version and am likely going to purchase it since I am an engineer and a fan of monkeys so a game that brings them both together is a winner in my book.
I was trying to come up with a theme or topic for all the apps to cover this week, but I have been so busy getting my rear end handed to me on AlphaJax that I haven't really played with too many other apps this week. Thus, I'll give you my quick take on the top 5 apps that I have been using over the past week on my new Dell Venue Pro.
- AlphaJax: I enjoy playing Scrabble, but find it is even better and more addicting to play on my phone because I can take on opponents all over the Internet and play when I have a few available minutes. I purchased AlphaJax at $2.99 before they updated it and now you can get it for free with ads. The game play is awesome and unlike too many other smartphone word games you get full stats for you and the top players. I haven't cracked the top lists yet, but I am working hard to get there.
- My Trips: Based on a friend's recommendation, I signed up for TripIt.com since I have a ton of upcoming travel and wanted a better way to manage and view the trip details. My Trips for WP7 runs $1.99 and let's you sync to your TripIt.com account. My Trips includes flight, hotel, and other info, including confirmation codes and phone numbers to call for help. I may soon need to update to the TripIt Pro version too.
- Pageonce Personal Finance: I used Mint on my Android devices in the past, but there is no Mint.com client on WP7 yet so I had to find another solution. My DVP launched with Pageonce Personal Finance and after checking out their site and seeing they have support for Android and iOS too I decided to go with this application. Pageonce Personal Finance on WP7 lets you manage your bills, track your spending, check bank account status and much more. It looks to be quite safe and secure, which is vital for a banking app.
- TeleNav GPS Navigator: I was surprised to see TeleNav GPS Navigator available at launch on both the T-Mobile and AT&T WP7 devices. This app and service gives you full voice-guided navigation with a slick user interface. It costs $9.99 per month for unlimited use and I just wish it was more integrated into the OS and apps for guidance to POIs.
- Crackdown 2: Project Sunburst: I remember hearing about a tower defense game where you could use Bing Maps and your own house to defend it against the zombie attack. I finally discovered this was available in the Marketplace as Crackdown 2: Project Sunburst. Since I thought the idea of defending my house or office was cool, I paid the $2.99 to get it and play on my DVP.
Are you addicted to any WP7 games or apps? Any ideas for a future topic/theme for apps?