Apple's "Let's Rock" event is underway in San Francisco.
Here are the highlights from the event:
New updated iPod gallery!
- Steve Jobs is looking quite healthy and energetic ... that should reassure investors. Slide says "The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated."
- iTunes currently offers 8.5 million songs, over 125,000 podcasts, over 30,000 TV shows, around 2600 movies and more than 3,000 apps for iPhone and iPod touch. #1 music distributor.
- iTunes 8 out today. New features - Accessibility, Genius sidebar (makes recommendations), new browsing. Support for HD TV shows. Automatically make playlists with a single click.
Download iTunes 8.
- NBC back on iTunes.
- Onto the iPod. NPD data indicates that the iPod has a 73.4% marketshare (Microsoft's Zune stands at 2.6%).
- iPod classic - Thick iPod classic to be discontinued, thin upgraded to 120GB and cost $249.
- iPod nano - Oval cross-section. Calendar, stopwatch, voice recording when a mic is fitted. Screen switches between portrait and landscape. New UI. New "shake to shuffle" feature. 24 hour batter life for music, 4 hours battery life for video.
- New nanos have arsenic-free glass, BFR-free, mercury-free, PVC-free and highly recyclable.
- New nano colors (no white).
- Nano to come in two flavors - $149 for the 8GB model, $199 for the 16GB model. Available shortly.
- New in-ear earphones - $79.
- iPod touch - Contoured stainless steel, integrated volume control, built-in speaker, built-in Nike+ receiver.
- 36 hours battery life for music, 6 hours for video.
- New iPod touch devices have arsenic-free glass, BFR-free, mercury-free, PVC-free and highly recyclable.
- Price: 8GB is $229, 16GB is $299 and 32GB is $399. Available immediately. Incorporates software 2.1.
- iPod touch 2.1 software will be free for anyone who bought 2.0, otherwise it's $9.95.
- App Store - 100 million apps in 60 days.
- New App Store games - Spore Origins, Real Soccer 2009, Need for Speed: Undercover.
- iPhone - Software update 2.1 available this Friday. Free. Improved battery life, fewer dropped calls, less crashing, improved backup ...
More as it comes in ...