This guide will walk you through how to make lists of friends -- allowing certain friends, such as colleagues, to be separated from your college friends. This guide alone is a crucial part of the overall Facebook Lockdown Guide, and will help you out a great deal in further guides.
Not everyone should see everything -- and this guide will show you how to do it in only a few simple steps. Start here, and you will be set throughout the whole series of Facebook Lockdown gallery guides.
This is gallery 1 of 5. To see more gallery guides, from profile settings to privacy settings, visit the Definitive Facebook Lockdown Guide (Sept. 2011) for all the resources you need.
To create a list of friends, from your profile, select the Friends option in the left hand pane.
1. Select Create a list.
2. Name the list appropriately. If you want to make a limited profile of friends, so that acquaintances cannot see your status updates, for example, name it Limited profile.
3. Select your friends you wish to be part of this list. You can select as many as you wish.
4. Select Create list.
Now that the list has been created, you can amend the list by adding friends, or taking them away as and wish you please.
1. To add a friend you know the name of, type in the friends name at the top bar.
2. Facebook automatically suggests friends that you may have missed off. To add a friend from this list, select the plus (+) button.
3. To remove a friend, hover over the name of that friend and select the blue cross (x) button.
Back on your profile, you can now limit that group of friends from seeing a particular post, photo or link. Equally, you can single them out so you can send specific updates to only that list of friends.
1. Select the button next to Post.
2. Select Custom.
In this example, we will limit the next post (and therefore subsequent posts) from a specific group of friends.
3. Select the friends you want to see this post, such as friends or your entire network; whichever network you belong to.
4. Select the friends you don't want to see this post. To choose your limited profile, type in the name of the list you created earlier.
If, however, you want to change a post's permission once it has gone live, you can do now.
5. Simply hit the blue cog icon and change the permission as appropriate. If you select Custom, you can then deny a person or a list of friends from seeing that post.
This is the end of the gallery. To see more gallery guides, from profile settings to privacy settings, visit the Definitive Facebook Lockdown Guide (Sept. 2011) for all the resources you need.