As 2010 draws nearer, it's time for a bouquet of predictions, along with a few wishes.
- Windows XP will remain the dominant OS for 2010.
- Firefox usage share will edge towards 30% while Google Chrome will overtake Apple's Safari.
- Linux usage share will end the year around 1%.
- Intel will still reign supreme during 2010, but AMD will gain ground.
- Windows 7 will give PC OEMs a sales bump during the first half of 2010. Beyond that, I'm not sure what will happen.
- 2010 will be a year of platform wars, especially when it comes to mobile devices and small form-factor devices.
- 2010 will also be the year of the app store ... watch them spring up all over the place.
- Apple unleashing the iPhone on other cell phone networks will make customers realize that all the entire cell phone infrastructure is in dire need of investment.
- iPod sales will stagnate, and unless we start seeing more innovation, fall.
- As we push more and more data into the cloud, a data disaster is almost inevitable.
- I wish that consumers at large would become more DRM-savvy.
- I wish that consumers would learn the value of having a usable backup.
- I wish that consumers at large would learn to value privacy.