David has a post with supposed details about Apple's attempts to pry the iPhone name from Cisco's, which has been busy rolling out its own iPhone products. He cites a trusted source on the timeline below:
- Apple has known about the iPhone trademark for years and approached Cisco starting in December 2001
- Cisco declined because of existing and planned product lines
- Apple has approached Cisco 3 times over the past year for rights to the iPhone trademark
- Cisco again declined because of existing and planned product lines
- More recently (last few weeks) high level negotiations for a "shared approach"
- It seems that in this case both an Apple cell phone and a Cisco VOIP phone would co-exist with the iPhone branding
- I think these discussions are still active and ongoing