ClearCube just announced that they now have an OEM relationship with VMware. Their press release can be viewed here. Should your organization be deploying this type of solution for its task-oriented staff to better support the organizations requirements for efficient client-centric computing? Here's a quick SWOT analysis of the announcement.
StrengthsThere are many benefits to using virtual access solutions rather than providing each staff member with a PC. I'll briefly summarize them here.
- Cost reduction
- Individuals share hardware and, thus, reduce the costs of hardware acquisition
- Sharing hardware resources also reduces the costs of installation, updating, operations and administration
- Easier management
- Organizations find it easier to manage the environment if they don't have to go to every staff member's office to deal with issues
- IT staff can carefully control what software is loaded. This means updates of applications, data management tools and operating system software can be tested, staged and put into production according to a plan rather than having it happen "organically" in the environment.
- Better levels of security
- Since the IT staff controls what's loaded onto PC blades or application servers, it is much less likely that a virus or worm will be able to get into the environment.