Did you happen to grab one of K.O. Gadget's uber-cool Luminescent Apple logo mods for the iPhone 4/4S this morning? If you did, consider yourself lucky.
Just like the iTether app before it -- which slipped through the App Store Gestapo's fingers around Thanksgiving -- the Luminescent Logo Mod Kit for iPhone 4/4S may have become the victim of Apple legal.
M.I.C. Gadget's Chris Chang first broke the news about the replacement iPhone 4 and 4S rear panels that feature a transparent Apple logo and a backlit panel that is hot-wired to the iPhone's logic board:
the light, which glows when the phone receives a call or message or when the alarm sounds, would stay on for 15 seconds even after the screen goes off. And most importantly, the light does not noticeably affect battery performance or cause any heating issues.
Some time around 10:00am ET, the site became unresponsive and was either overcome by high demand or taken down at the request of Cupertino.
Perhaps it was KO's ballsy "time remaining for purchase" countdown clock that encouraged buyers to "get it before C&D (cease and desist)" that drew the ire of Apple? Ya think?
The modification is end-user installable (in less than 5 minutes) and was being offered for $42.90 (plus $13.50 shipping) before the site went down -- which is much more affordable than the similar iPatch mod that was announced in September for $159. While it technically voids your iPhone warranty, K.O. Gadget claims that its logo mod is fully reversible.
Oh, you silly, silly, modders :)
Unfortunately, most of the installation process is obscured by the installers hands in this less-than-stellar video:
Update: Looks like this TechCrunch post might have overwhelmed KO's server.
Update2: In addition to the stock "Link to database cannot be established" I'm getting these new error messages:
Update3: w00t! Here's the actual website copy, captured during a rare moment that the site was up today:
The long-awaited iPhone 4 / 4S logo light-up mod kit is here!
- Easy to install - Our new and improved kit is easy to install so you can do it right in the comfort of your home - No soldering required and fully reversible - ideal for novice and pro modders!
- Improved light kit - Enhanced light kit is able to light up independent of the front screen! - Lights up whenever front screen turns on, but stays on for 15 seconds after front screen is turned off! - Lights up while you are holding the phone up to your face and are having a phone conversation, even when front screen is turned off. - Lights up when there is an incoming call, an SMS is received or the phone alarm is ringin?g - Lights up if any background applications are detected to be sending or receiving data during the iPhone's standby mode - No noticable impact on battery life - Stays on indefinitely while charging - Evenly distributed, Pure White logo illumination (just like on a MacBook!) - No affect on camera functions
- Choice of rear panel color - Black - White
- Support for iPhone 4 or iPhone 4S / iPhone 4 CDMA (using different rear panels) ***Note***: - iPhone 4 (GSM) users should order the rear panel for the iPhone 4 - iPhone 4S and the iPhone 4 (CDMA) users should order the rear panel for iPhone 4S / CDMA
- Choice of logo - Original logo - Exclusive redesigned SJ Tribute logo by Jonathan Mak (Logo only, no "Steve Jobs" or years text)
- Tempered Glass Rear Panel - Text (model, serial number, country of origin, etc)? printed on back of rear panel will be identical to the U.S. version of the selected device - Complete with all the necessary parts including high quality camera lens, flash diffuser and bezel.
::Required Tools for Installation::
- Phillips-head Screw Driver (included)
- Pentalobe Screw Driver (included)
- 3M sticker (included)
- Forceps (included)
- Remove the 2 screws flanking the iPhone's dock connector port
- Slide open and remove the rear panel
- Remove the 5 screws near the flash
- Lift up the power connector of the screen
- Position the light panel, then connect and mount it using the 3M sticker (details will be provided after purchase)
- Replace the 5 screws near the flash
- Slide on the included rear panel with the transparent logo (so that the light is visible through it)
- Replace the 2 remaining screws flanking the dock connector port
- iPhone 4
- iPhone 4S / CDMA
- Outer Face Plate - Tempered Glass
- Inner Mounting Frame - Plastic
- Screw Parts - Metal Alloy
- Camera Lens Cover - Clear Glass (same quality as original for great photos every time!)
- 1 x Back Panel with the color and logo of your choice for your iPhone device: - Color : Black or White - Device : for iPhone 4 or iPhone 4S / CDMA - Logo : Original or SJ Tribute
- 1 x Luminescence Kit
- 1 x Instructional Video Disc - Covers the entire installation process in detail!
- 1 x Phillips-head Screw Driver
- 1 x Pentalobe (Five-Point Star) Screw Driver
- 1 x 3M sticker
- 1 x Forceps
::Processing Time:: This item will need 14 days to process and we will not debit your paypal account or credit card during the processing period until we are ready to ship out your product?.