Facebook has already held three Mobile Hack events in the U.S. (Palo Alto, New York, and Boston) to teach developers about the Facebook Platform for Mobile. Next month, Menlo Park plans to do the same in Europe (disclosed last week) and Asia (disclosed today).
Facebook has announced four Asian events:
- $25: Singapore on March 19, 2012 (from 10:00 AM to 11:00 PM GMT)
- $25: Hong Kong on March 22, 2012 (from 10:00 AM to 11:00 PM GMT)
- TBA: Seoul on March 27, 2012 (TBA)
- ¥5,000: Tokyo on March 29, 2012 (from 11:00 AM to 10:30 PM GMT)
Each event will start with an introduction to Facebook, the mobile platform, and the benefits to developers when working with the social networking giant. Next is a deep-dive into learning about building social mobile apps with Facebook's new Open Graph platform, as well how to use native platforms, HTML5, and the company's SDKs for each. Facebook will also highlight success stories from great existing apps as well as introduce important technology partners.
With assistance and guidance from Facebook engineers, you will have the chance to build your own mobile social app or improve an existing one. At the end of the event, the best apps will be selected by a panel of experts and prizes will be awarded. Your app does not need to be created from scratch at the event, so you should start coding now, if you haven't already. See Getting Started – Mobile on Facebook Developers.
Events like this one are a great opportunity not just to learn from Facebook but from your peers in the industry. You should take advantage while Facebook keeps the price tag low: chances are in a few years these mobile events will be as expensive as the desktop ones.
- Facebook: 60 million users access apps via mobile
- Facebook Platform on Mobile comes to Android
- Facebook Platform goes mobile, starting with Apple iOS
- Facebook launches HTML5 Resource Center
- Facebook: "We're going to become a mobile company"
- Steve Jobs: "I admire Mark Zuckerberg."