Forrester Research on Tuesday projected that the Internet population will hit 2.2 billion people by 2013. Of that tally, 43 percent of the Internet population will be from Asia.
Among the key findings:
- 17 percent of the online population will reside in China.
- Growth rates in the United States, Western Europe and other industrialized nations will be between 1 percent and 3 percent.
- Online penetration in the United States will rise to 82 percent in 2013, up from 73 percent today. That rate will put it on par with other Internet saturated countries.
- Russia and Turkey growth will grow 8 percent a year.
- Africa and the Middle East will show strong growth to hit 13 percent of the online population in 2013.
This article was first published as a blog post on ZDNet.com.