Passengers flying on United Airlines this summer and carrying an iPad, iPhone and even an iPod touch can bring one less item with them in their bags: paper boarding passes. United Airlines just released a free app for iOS devices on the iTunes AppStore that not only displays the passenger's boarding pass, but also offers a number of traveler-friendly features in-app.
- Book flights and manage their MileagePlus and OnePass accounts
- Check in
- Access mobile boarding passes with one touch
- Get flight status/updates
- Follow United's Twitter feed for up-to-the-minute updates on the airline
- Interactive airport maps
- Follow your flight with a real-time map
Continental was actually the first airliner in the U.S. to offer mobile boarding passes to passengers; now that the merger between the two companies have completed (at least on the legal front), it's nice to see the separately-operated airline carriers would share ideas that are good for passengers. Not that a single app could sway passengers to fly with a particular carrier over another, but it certainly is a bonus to know you don't have to scramble to find a printer, to print a boarding pass just to beat the lineup at the counter with United and Continental. It's too bad such a useful app isn't available on Android devices yet.
The United Airlines app for iOS devices is on iTunes AppStore now.
- Gogo launching new in-air multimedia platform beyond just Wi-Fi
- American Airlines to offer in-flight streaming to personal devices